Up up and away with Ruby
With lovely holiday memories still fresh in my mind, I was keen to turn this quirky travel fabric into a summery top.
The top… let me tell you about the top… This weekend I’ve developed a pattern crush on Tessuti’s latest release the Ruby Top/Dress. I traced off a size 12, completed an 1 1/2 inch dartless FBA and shortened the pattern at the hem by 1 1/4 inches. During a mid-make try-on, I discovered excess room at the side seams. To resolve this issue, I took each side seam in by 3/8 inch. Perhaps I didn’t need that FBA, or such a large FBA, after all?
The stitch-in-the-ditch method, as outlined in the instructions, for securing the neck and armholes binding, is not one I’ve used before. I decided to follow the instructions and I think it’s fair to say that I need a little more stitch-in-the-ditch practice! The slightly darker than ideal thread doesn’t help the situation either. Next time, I foresee the binding being hand stitched in place.
This top was a bit of a style experiment for me. I don’t usually wear high necklines, but Ruby’s cut-away armholes balance her neckline nicely. Did I mention there is a dress version too? I have some silk earmarked for a Ruby Dress and a function date (Dec 5th) that I’m working towards.
The pattern also features a keyhole back opening. My op shop jar of buttons delivered yet again and I learnt how to make a thread chain to loop the button through. Information on creating a thread chain were not included in the instructions, but a quick internet search uncovered an easy to follow Oliver + S tutorial.
Before I take my balloon and go home, I’m giving Ruby the big thumbs up.
Pattern: Tessuti’s Ruby Top/Dress
Fabric: K-Balloons (100% viscose) from Darn Cheap Fabrics
Alterations: 1.5″ dartless FBA. I took each side seam in by 3/8″. I removed 1 1/4″ from the length of the top at the hem.
Accessories: Beads from Scarlett Jones & shoes purchased online.