My Sydney Jacket journey
Tessuti released the Sydney Jacket in May 2015, and soon after the release, I popped into the Melbourne store and tried on their sample. Needless to say, I purchased the paper pattern and this gorgeous teal wool and project Sydney was underway.
I washed the boiled wool (as instructed by the lovely ladies at Tessuti) and lay it across my clothes horse to dry. That was big mistake number one. When the wool dried I was devastated to see that the combination of the heavy wet wool and the clothes horse rungs had left marks. Just for the record, it wasn’t a wire clothes horse, but a wooden one with coated rails. Sigh…
To remedy the marks I stupidly (can you see mistake number two is about to occur?) thought a good steam with the iron might remove those marks. Ah no, I now had clothes rack and iron marks on my precious boiled wool. Eeek!
Feeling devastated, I decided to solider on as maybe when cut and sewn, the marks wouldn’t be noticed by the untrained eye. I cut out the XS (the medium in store had swamped me) and packed it all up to take away with me on a sewing weekend.
But I couldn’t face my Sydney Jacket that weekend, or for the following 22 months. It was a WIP that haunted me until last month.
After finishing my Saunio Cardigan, and with the new found love for my vintage Bernina Record 730, I just wanted to sew ‘all the wool’. I remembered this project and took it out of it’s project bag and low-and-behold there was not a mark on it. I sewed it up with glee, tried it on and felt very smug. What a save!
Unfortunately, the smugness soon faded when I realised that my the jacket fitted perfectly when my arms were by my side, but I couldn’t raise my arms at all!
The restricted arm movement was caused by the jacket being tight in the back between my bra strap and waist. The Sydney Jacket has low armholes and the combination of that and my body (I’m a little long in the torso and thick in the waist) means that this pattern, in this size, doesn’t work for me. I might try sizing up, but I might not too. Some patterns just aren’t great matches for some bodies.
The story does have a happy ending. My lovely sister-in-law couldn’t claim this teal Sydney Jacket fast enough. I now have an order from my Mum and I’ve offered to make one for Sharon too. I’ve also since had success with another Tessuti jacket pattern, but that will be the subject of my next blog post!
And for the technical stuff, I deviated from the pattern slightly on the pockets. The instructions suggest that you either leave the pockets bags loose or you top stitch them down. I opted to hand sew them to the jacket which gave security without a stitch line. Although, you can see the outline of the pocket bag. This whole hand stitching caper is growing on me.
I really like the construction of this jacket. The lapped seams are confronting at first, but like most new things, after a few seams I got into a rhythm. The raw unfinished edges make it a relatively quick sew.
Pattern: Tessuti’s Sydney Jacket
Fabric: Boiled wool from Tessuti [sold out]
Alterations: Hand stitched the pocket bags to the fronts of the jacket
Accessories: Scarf from Scarlet Jones
Location: Lake Jubilee, Daylesford