Miss B celebrated her birthday last week and as part of her present I made her an Elsa (from the Disney movie Frozen) inspired dress. I used the word inspired as costumes in our house need to be practical so they can be worn to the park, to the shops, to dress-up days at kinder/school etc…
After tossing around pattern ideas with a few of my sewing peeps, I settled on Figgy’s Seraphic Raglan as a base pattern.
I made a the following sleeve and bodice adjustment to the size 4/5:
- I removed 3 inches from the sleeve length (we are a family of short arms!)
- I reduced the width of the arm (this pattern is very boxy and probably designed for a unisex fit)
- I shortened the bodice so that the side seams on the front and back pattern piece measured 4 inches
The skirt on the dress is a rectangle of fabric (width x 20 inches) that has been seamed at the selvedges and gathered to fit the circumference of the bodice. I used fusible stay tape to stablise the bodice before adding the skirt. I also used fusible stay tape on the hem of the dress, before securing it with a twin needles. I do love my twin needle!
There is a fair bit of sparkle going on isn’t there? Both of the dress fabrics are dance fabrics from GJs Discount Fabric. The white was a remnant (score!) and the blue is aptly named shattered glass. The shawl, which didn’t quite get made into a cape, was a remnant from GJs too.
I’ve not sewn with dance fabric before and the only thing I can say is that they do not like being pressed. I used a press cloth and a low/mid heat setting on my iron, but in the end the seams didn’t look like they had been pressed and I was too scared to up the heat.
Surprisingly, Miss B has been rather non-plussed about her new dress. Maybe with time, and interest from other children visiting out house, it will grow on her!
Pattern: Figgy’s Seraphic Raglan
Fabric: Dance fabrics from GJs Discount Fabric
Alterations: I shortened the sleeves by 3 inches and also removed some of the sleeve width. The bodice was shortened and a gathered skirt was added to make a dress.
On the weekend, I made a white and gold version of this dress for the costume box at Miss B’s kinder. I’ll publish a separate post on all my recent costume making exploits…