Did I go too far?

Did I go too far?


I have a very soft spot for Japanese seersucker, so when Tessuti announced their latest shipment of this glorious fabric had arrived, I was there in a flash.


Needless to say, I brought both the check and the stripe in the orange colourway with the idea of a combining them into a top.


I was excited with my plan but then mid project the doubts crept in.  Had I gone to far?  Was I channeling a tablecloth from an Italian pizza restaurant?  Do you ever get the mid-make jitters?


The pattern is of course my old faithful Aeolian Tee Shirt Pattern from Pattern Fantastique.  I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve sewn this pattern, but these days each time I make it, I tweak it a little.  Today’s tweak was brought to you by fabric restrictions… I didn’t buy quite enough for the sleeves, so I added a cuff, and I actually think it’s what makes the top.


The challenge for me, a self confessed perfectionist, was the print.  The checks have a freehand painted look and their edges aren’t straight.  I decided that visually the top had to match the prints so I cut along the lines created by the checks rather than the accurate edges of the pattern pieces.  I used the fabric’s pattern in my favour when hemming and did away with any measuring.  It also meant that the stitches securing the hems are invisible as they disappear into the orange of the check.  This makes me ridiculously happy!


The Aeolian is designed for jersey and comes with a back facing.  When making this pattern up in a woven I usually ignore the facing, but I had just the right sized scrap of the striped fabric and thought it would add a bit of visual interest to the insides of my garment.  A little something to make me smile!


If you look really closely in the photo below you can see the decorative stitch that I’ve used to secure the bottom edge of the back facing to the top.


So the verdict… I like it (phew!) and it’s already had a couple of wears.  Happy days!


Pattern:  Pattern Fantastique’s Aeolian Tee Shirt Dress (top length)
Size:  Small
Fabric:  Japanese seersucker cotton (orange ripple square & orange ripple stripe)  from Tessuti
Alterations:  Sewn in a woven rather than a knit.  Added sleeve cuffs.
Accessories:  Beads from Scarlett Jones and shoes from Zomp
Photo Location:  Swinburne University of Technology



Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.