Silk baby yeah…
I’m planning on making a silk dress for Frocktails on September 7th in Melbourne, so this week I’ve been experimenting with silk.
Experiment 1 : A silk scarf
My first foray into using this luxurious fabric resulted in a scarf.
The square scarf has a double folded narrow hem. The first fold was secured by machine and I hand stitched the second fold with a double strand of vintage cotton purchased from Luccello.
The golden thread is a subtle highlight and one of my favourite colours. Also, when I think of tall ships, I think of pirates and searching for treasure (gold).
The scarf is a little quirky, but I love it, and it feels very me!
Pattern: My own.
Size: Finished scarf – 26 inches x 26 inches
Fabric: Tall ships silk crepe de chine (on sale!) from Emma One Stock. Purchased last year before international shipping rates sky rocketed.
Experiment 2 : A modified Simplicity 5547
After gaining some confidence with the scarf, I decided to tackle a simple top that I could wear to dinner with some sewing buddies. You know, something that could hide a multitude of potential errors! I agonised over the pattern, and in the end decided on a slightly modified version of vintage Simplicity 5547.
I’ve made this top before and after wearing it a few times I got very annoyed with the draw-string and how badly the neckline sat, particularly at the shoulders, and I promptly sent it to the op shop.
This time around, I eliminated both the front seam and the draw-string and added elastic to the neckline casting. I really struggled with the last change. I was worried that the elastic would cheapen the gorgeous silk, but it sits well and I think it works. Also, the other option, which was to gather the neckline and finish it with bias binding, was a non-option on my first silk garment! Enough said.
I used a combination of fusible fine stay tape and stay stitching to stop the neckline raglan sleeves from stretching. This was after all, an experiment in silk! The stay tape did it’s job perfectly, but was too bulky for the french seams (which I used throughout). The stay stitching caused a bit of bunching (I might need to have a bit more of a play with the tension setting on my machine) but overall it was a better option for this make.
I finished hand stitching the hem only an hour before leaving for dinner last night. It was my first hand stitched hem, and although it took FOREVER, I love the finish. I’m a hand stitched hem convert!
Here’s the final outfit I wore to dinner last night. Mr Blogless Anna said WOW. Those heels really do pack a punch!
Pattern: Simplicity 5547 (vintage)
Size: Size 18 (Bust 38″)
Fabric: Silk remnant from Tessuti
Alterations: Removed front seam. Replaced neck-draw-string with elastic. Removed 1/2 inch from the sleeves.