Feeling victorious with Verona
I love a sewing victory, and this definity feels like one. I used some precious Japanese linen which I brought form work and sewed up a new to me pattern… the Verona Woven Top by SytleArc.
I loved this fabric ever since I saw the sample when I was assisting my boss with some fabric buying. My love didn’t diminish when it arrived in store, but these days I don’t buy fabric until I’m ready to sew it up. My stash isn’t growing, so this strategy is currently working well for me.
This is a Japanese linen, so although a touch late, a perfect entry for the Instagram challenge #SewJapaneseInJuly.
This top definitely has some big sleeve energy!
The sleeves are cut on the bias, so a little ‘hoggy’ with regards fabric consumption, but I think totally worth it.
I made two fit alterations to the pattern, which are very common for me:
- I performed a 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment on a raglan sleeve. My method is outline in this blog post.
- I have a longish torso, so added 1″ (2.5cm) to the length of the top
The added length is perfect as there is no belly flashing when I lift my arms.
I found the drafted binding way to narrow for the method outlined in the instructions. I therefore just went my own way… making bias binding with my Clover bias binding gadget, attaching the right side of the binding to the wrong side of the neckline and then flipping it over and securinng it. The ends were tucked in on the back neckline split of course! I hand basted the binding in place (see Instagram reel) before securing it with my machine. It makes such a difference to accuracy.
The sleeves are brought in with elastic. 6mm elastic is specified in the pattern, but I used 9mm to make the elastic more snug in the casing.
The back neckline is secured with a button and loop. Rather than a fabric loop, I opted to make a thread chain referencing this Oliver + S tutorial.
This top feels very me. I predict it’s going to have longevity in my wardrobe.
Pattern: StyleArc’s Verona Woven Top (purchased from work)
Fabric: Japanese linen from The Cloth Shop
Alterations: I added 1″ (2.5cm) to the length of the top, performed my usual 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment, I created a thread chain loop and used slightly wider elastic in the sleeve cuffs.
Outfit: Jeans from AJE, loafers from Radical Yes and necklace a gift from my dear friend Anne many years ago
Photo Location: Outside the Kew Tram Depot (Melbourne)