Eating my Sophie words
Now that my girls are back at school, I’m in the city one day a week working for my husband (it has already been suggested I should be paid in fabric!) so visits to Tessuti are now a little too easy. On one of these visits I tried on the shop sample of the sleeveless Sophie Top and it was time to eat my words. The shape of the top was perfect… skimming where skimming needs to happen, hitting at my preferred length and the hem was slightly higher at the front than the back. It was a pleasing silhouette.
Colette recently posted her version of the Sophie Dress that has the lapel folded up and secured by a single button. I went one step further and did away with the lapel all together. On the front piece I drew a line from the bottom of the v-neck to the hem and traced the side of the pattern without the lapel. I made the same adjustments to the front facing and then cut both pieces on the fold. Yes, it was that easy!
I sewed and traced the xs. A mid-sew try-on revealed it was a little snug on my bust. Time for a cheats FBA… I unpicked the side seams between the underarm and the notched and re-sewed using a 3/8″ seam allowance rather than the specified 1/2″. It worked a treat.
The back neckline is finished with bias binding (not visible) and the front is faced. This was a new neckline finishing combination for me and therefore added a bit of interest to this make.
I used some liberty scraps for the binding and facing and if you look very hard you might just be able to see a touch of liberty peeking out at the top of my shoulder in the photo below.
This is a great basic top that easily fits into my wardrobe and life.
Pattern: Tessuti’s Sophie Top
Fabric: Leftover linen from my Eva Dress & liberty scraps
Alterations: I removed the single front lapel. Between the underarm and the side seam notch I used a 3/8″ seam allowance (rather than the specified 1/2″) .
Accessories: Liberty Scarf, bracelet from Christine’s & shoes recently purchased online from Yoox.