Although I love the idea of classy sleepwear, causal shorts are one of my wardrobe gaps, so this pattern was purchased and sewn with that in mind.
I sewed up a toile from a largish scrap of chambray. I’m usually a rule follower, but I cut one of the hem facings on the cross grain to make it all from the same fabric!
One of the great things about having a few years of sewing under your belt is that you can alter the construction method to incorporate your preferred sewing techniques. With these shorts, I deviated from the instructions on two occasions:
- I always prefer to attach the right side of the waistband to the wrong side of the shorts, fold the waistband over the seam and top stitch it in place. I find this method gives me a much neater finish.
- The instruction suggest that you hand stitch or top stitch the top of the hem facings in place. Both good options, but I was feeling a little bit adventurous, so I secured the hem facings by stitching in the ditch.
The shorts have an elastic waist so I selected my size based on my hips measurements. I was so thrilled when I finished these shorts and tried them on. I thought I had a great fitting pair of shorts straight out of the packet… but the blog photo shoot revealed that I have some fitting issues to work through. I wasn’t blessed with backside booty, so I’m about to learn all about flat bottom adjustments. Wish me luck!
Pattern: Megan Nielsen’s Reef Camisole and Shorts Set (Version 2)
Fabric: Chambray from deep in the stash
Alterations: Left off the pockets. I slightly altered the construction method (as outlined above).
Accessories: Beads from Christine’s and shoes from Zomp
Location: Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne