A Jac for a Jill
When I was supposed to be sewing up my Frocktails dress… Mr Blogless Anna’s procrastination skills are rubbing off on me… I was of course sewing up my first every button up shirt. As you do!
I brought Tessuti’s Jac Shirt when it was released in March 2013 but it’s taken over two years for me to pluck up the courage to sew this pattern. Sizing and fabric selection issues aside (more on that later) I love this pattern and all its details…
Check out the angled side splits which have perfectly drafted mitred corners…
and the three-quarter-length sleeves with slits that beg you to fold them back!
Suggested suitable fabrics for this shirt include lightweight linen, silk crepe de chine, soft drapey cotton and cotton/silk blends. Tessuti specifically says that it’s not suitable for stiff fabrics. Although the linen I used wasn’t stiff, it wasn’t lightweight either. I think the shirt looks okay from the front but there is just too much volume at the back.
The fabric wasn’t the only thing I didn’t get quite get right, I sewed a size small and it’s just a touch to big for me, particularly in the shoulders. Fortunately, my gorgeous sister-in-law has swimmer’s shoulders and she is eager to call this shirt her own. She has been waiting patiently for this to be blogged before it could take up residence in her wardrobe. I know it will be very happy in its new home.
Meanwhile, I’ve cut out a slightly shortened extra small in some lightweight linen. I must get sewing as this shirt will be a great trans-seasonal piece in my wardrobe.
And the shirt making… well like most things, it was no way as hard as I thought. The trickiest part for me was top stitching the collar and collar stand and I believe it’s just one of those things where practice makes perfect.
Pattern: Tessuti’s Jac Shirt
Fabric: Medium weight linen purchased at Primoza’s studio sale (now sold out)
Accessories: Elk beads (however they were a fantastic find from the op shop!) and (new) shoes from Habbot