This cotton/linen fabric from The Cloth Shop caught my eye the minute it arrived at work. The ombre effect was stunning and the fabric had a lovely texture too. I instantly decided it would make a gorgeous dress… but what pattern?
A few weeks later, while I was still dithering about ‘what pattern’, I got the opportunity to sew a preview version of Marion from Issue 13 of Fibremood (released on February 17th) and I knew exactly what fabric I would use.
I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear it took me quite a while to decide the pattern placement for the pattern pieces. The skirt was easy… but those sleeves had me scratching my head. How much red and how much pink? A little bit of colouring-in on the line drawing sorted everything out in my mind. Do you ever take your coloured pencils to the line drawings of your upcoming makes?
Style wise, this is a huge departure from my normal sack dresses. As I age I become more and more comfortable with my body… and this latest ‘comfort’ has resulted in me wearing a dress that highlights my waist… possibility for the first time in my life.
As this dress was new territory for me, I did a quick toile and then made quite a few tweaks. My changes included:
- 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment
- removed the back neck opening and lowered the neckline by 3/8″ (1cm)
- reduced the front bodice length by 1″ (2.5cm) at the centre front blending to 1.5″ (4cm) at the side seam – the longer length at the centre front is a cheat’s full bust adjustment (FBA)
- reduced the back bodice length by 1.5″ (4cm)
- increased the width of the waist casting by 1/16″ (2mm)
- shortened sleeves by 1.5″ (4cm)
- left off the sleeve ruffle and gathered and bound the sleeve edge
I feel very put together whenever I wear this dress… and for a new-to-me style… I think that’s a great win.
Pattern: Fibremood’s Marion Dress
Fabric: Ombre cotton/linen blend from The Cloth Shop [sold out in this colourway but still available in passion and sulphur]
Alterations: 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment, removed the back neck opening and lowered the neckline by 3/8″ (1cm), reduced the front bodice length by 1″ (2.5cm) at the centre front blending to 1.5″ (4cm) at the side seam, reduced the back bodice length by 1.5″ (4cm), increased the width of the waist casting by 1/16″ (2mm), shortened sleeves by 1.5″ (4cm) & left off the sleeve ruffle and gathered and bound the sleeve edge
Outfit: My favourite mustard wedges and Sonia Rykel beads.
Location: Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
Wow! That is a gorgeous dress and you look marvelous!