I saw this cotton/linen fabric as a swatch when my boss was ordering stock and I knew that I would sew a garment from it. I originally had a shirt in mind, but when I saw the preview of Issue 15 of Fibremood’s magazine, Dolly caught my eye.
Sometimes a statement fabric requires a relatively blank canvas to allow it to shine.
That being said, Fibremood Dolly has some lovely details that do get a little bit lost with this busy print. The neckline is finished with a binding, but there is a bow inserted into the neckline split.
I switched the ties from being cut on the grain to being cut on the bias as I love how a bias bow sits. This meant I had to be a little bit more careful when sewing and handling these pattern pieces so they didn’t stretch out.
The pattern has a raglan sleeve, which are my favourite #teamraglan, and the sleeve edge is gathered and bound with a cuff. I also lengthened the dress by 2″ (5cm).
I did have trouble matching up the front sleeve notch to the front armscye notch. Not sure if it was my error or the drafting, but I did feed it back to Fibremood and last I heard it was being checked.
It’s winter here in Australia, so this photo shoot required tights, but I look forward to wearing this dress with bare legs and sandals later this year.
Pattern: Fibremood’s Dolly Dress
Fabric: Cotton/linen blend from The Cloth Shop.
Alterations: Completed a 3/8” (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment, cut the ties on the bias and added 2″ (5cm) to the dresses length
Outfit: Tights from and boots from Obus (several seasons ago) and earring by Jo Hawley via e.g.etal
Location: Port Fairy