What did I wear on a 40 degree summer day in Melbourne?
My new sleeveless Lily Linen Dress of course!
This Lily has been planned and talked about since last September (when I made my mustard version), cut out since January (11 months ago!) and she was sewn up at Sewjourn last the weekend. Lily is a VERY patient girl!
I now feel the need to gush about this pattern. The fit is perfect (straight out of the packet is a rarity for me), I adore the neckline, the pockets are awesome and the little pleats on the hemline are the icing on the cake. It’s the perfect hot summer day dress.
I must confess that the pocket placement and hemline pleats required some guesswork on this version. When I packed for Sewjourn I remembered the pre-cut fabric, matching thread, instructions and a printed copy of the pocket tutorial, but I left my pattern at home. I didn’t think I needed it, but naughtily I hadn’t transferred the pattern markings onto the fabric when I cut it out. Luckily, Lara has an excellent memory and with her expert guidance and my relaxed attitude – sewing weekends are good for the soul – the pockets look exactly as they should. I added 16 rather than 12 pleats to the hem just because I could. I’m such a rebel!
Pattern: Tessuti’s Lily Linen Dress
Fabric: Olive green enzymed washed linen from Tessuti (purchased 12 mths ago)
Alterations: I eliminated the sleeves and bound the armholes with bias binding (as per the neckline). I added four extra pleats to the hemline.
I forgot how much I love sewing and wearing linen and I’m inspired to make some more linen dresses for the summer. My head is swimming with ideas. I think I need to sit down and daydream some more…