Amongst the jonquils

DSC_6338

How gorgeous is this setting?  It’s on a small cattle farm near Timboon. The farmer informed Sharon and I (we went to the farmhouse to asked permission to photograph on their land) that it used to be a small settlement near a railway line and the jonquils were originally in the gardens of the school-house.

DSC_6330

I predict this is the first of many Wiksten Shift’s in my life.  The pattern appealed to me the minute it was released, but I waited until the PDF was available before I purchased the pattern.  I can’t wait to make the shorter dress version when the weather warms up.

DSC_6328

Interestingly enough, I place this new make over the top of my favourite boxy Japanese pattern (seen here and here) from the first out-of-print Nani Iro book. After the modifications I made to both patterns (namely adding 2″ of length to the Japanese pattern and 1″ to the Wiksten Shift) the top width, length and necklines are almost identical!  The patterns are clearly different… one has a sleeve, the pockets are different shapes, the finished lengths as drafted do differ and the Wisken Shift has two dress options as well, but I’m highlighting the similarities for those who have asked me about the Japanese pattern and haven’t been able to find a copy of the out-of-print book.

DSC_6332

Speaking of sleeves, I really like this sleeve length.  It’s just past my elbow which I think works well with the cropped style while providing excellent sun coverage.

DSC_6349

The fabric is a digital printed linen from The Cloth Shop.  It’s a quirky print with vases of daffodils and birds in cages on it, but I think it works perfectly in a simple style.  The daffodils (on the fabric) and jonquils (in real life) pair beautifully don’t you think?

DSC_6344

The colours in the print range from very light to dark, so to be on the safe side, I raided my scraps and used a blush linen for the facing.  I interfaced the facing (this is an optional step) as I like the stability it gives the neckline.  If you look closely you might see that my top thread (out of focus on the left) and bottom thread (near the Kyle and the Machine label) are different colours.  It’s small details like these in my handmade clothes that bring me joy.

DSC_6333

The back of the garment sits nicely as I performed my usual 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment.  I used the tutorial on the Wiksten website, which is slightly different to my usual method, but it worked a treat.  It’s always great learning new things.

DSC_6324

Pattern:  Wiksten’s Shift Dress and Top
Size:  8
Fabric:  Digital print linen from  The Cloth Shop
Alterations:  3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment and I lengthen the pattern above the pockets by 1″ (2.5cm)
Outfit:  Jeans from WitcherySelune Scarf (pattern by Julie Hoover and knitted by Ophelie) and boots from Florsheim.
Photo Location:  Farmland near Timboon

DSC_6335

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

1 comment

  • Beautiful setting and lovely top! I’m a huge fan of using flesh toned or neutral fabrics for facings! And good to know the alternative FSA works. Xx