Missing the mark
This is one of those makes where the vision in my head and the finished garment didn’t collide.
How magnificent is that beach in the background? Okay, enough of the small talk, let’s get down to business… the few mornings that I’ve reached for this top it’s been put on, taken off and set aside. At home in front of the mirror, the pajama vibes are strong…. sob, sob, sob.
The pattern was one I’d had success with before, but in this instance, my fabric choice missed the mark. I’m really sad that this top didn’t work out as I used some precious loop-back Liberty french terry that the very kind Jane purchased on my behalf in Japan last year. More sobbing.
In my eyes, where I went wrong was the binding. The colour match is great, but the only place that I’ve recently seen patterned fabric with coordinating solid binding is when Miss A and Miss B wear their Hatley pajamas.
I think it’s fair to say that fabric choice/combinations can make or break a sewing project.
Not all is lost though, as my ‘failed’ jersey projects often become much loved and worn house clothes and/or sleepwear. My first pair of Hudson pants are an excellent case in point and I predict this liberty top will follow suit.
Pattern: McCall’s 6992 (View D)
Size: 12 graded to a 14 at the bust
Fabric: Liberty french terry purchased in Japan (thanks Jane)
Alterations: 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment, removed 2″ (5cm) from the sleeve length, graded out a size in the bust on both the front and back pattern pieces, lowered the front neckline by 1 3/4″ (4cm) and added 3/8″ (1cm) to the width of the sleeve cuff.
Accessories: Scarf borrowed from Sharon and boots from Florsheim