A botanical top in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens on a winter’s day.
This is my second version of McCall’s 5079 (view D). My first version seamlessly fitted into my wardrobe, and I knew another would be well worn too. I shopped my stash and I did a little happy dance when I realised that this printed ponte would coordinate nicely with a couple of my recently makes… namely my Axel Skirt, Berlin Jacket and Saunio Cardigan.
This project ended up being a lesson how similar fabric can behave very differently. Although I used the exact same pattern as last time, the fit through the body was tighter and the length in the arms and body longer. Thanks goodness I basted those side seams!
To achieve the same ‘fit result’ as my first version, I made the following adjustments:
- I sewed the side seams with an 3/8″ seam allowance rather than the suggested 5/8″
- I removed a further 1 1/4″ (3cm) from the body length, which means this top it’s a 3 1/4″ (8cm) shorter than drafted
- I kind of liked the longer sleeves, so they stayed.
And if anyone asks, the writing on the neck band has been position so that I can read it while wearing the top. Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking too it!
A simple, but well fitting top, in an unusual print is something that I’m going to reach for time and time again when getting dressed in the mornings. I’m therefore calling this fabric and pattern combination a winner.
Pattern: McCalls 5079 (View B)
Size: 10 graded to a 12 at the bust
Fabric: Ponte from Tessuti (long sold out)
Alterations: 3/8″ (1cm) forward shoulder adjustment, removed 1″ (2.5cm) from the sleeve length, removed 3 1/4″ (8cm) from the body, graded out a size in the bust on both the front and back pattern pieces, reduced the width of the neckband and sewed the side seams with a 3/8″ (1cm) seam allowance (rather than the suggested 5/8″).
Accessories: Scarf from Scarlet Jones and boots from Florsheim
Photo Location: Ballarat Botanical Gardens