An urban jungle
This family of giraffes have found their way into an urban jungle. Me too…
Let’s talk fabric.
This awesome fabric came from Sew Busy Lizzy’s stash to mine stash a while ago. From memory, Lizzy brought it from Spotlight with a skirt for herself in mind, but she later realised it was more me than her… lucky lucky me! Thanks Lizzy. I love this fabric and our wonderful online sewing community.
The cotton voile was sheer so I decided to line the body of the dress. I’m a novice liner. In fact, I’ve never successfully lined or underlined a garment in my life. Let’s not talk about the failed liberty Laurel Dress or I might cry.
To line the dress I made some changes to the order of construction. The process went something like this:
- Cut the front, back, sleeves and binding from the main fabric, ignoring the back facing
- Apply fusible stay tape to the wrong side of all the neck edges of the main fabric
- Cut the front and back from the lining fabric (I cut mine a little shorter than the main fabric)
- Sew the side seams of the main fabric and finish the raw edges
- Sew the side seams of the lining and finish the raw edges
- Place the main dress inside the lining with wrong sides together.
- Pin at armholes and neckline to hold in place
- Sew the underarm seams of both sleeves and finish the raw edges
- Attach the sleeves to the body of the dress and finish the raw edges
- Bind the neckline as a facing
- Double fold the hem on the main dress… remember it has a lovely deep hem!
- Hem the lining so it’s approximately 1/2″ shorter than the main dress
Pattern: Pattern Fantastique’s Aeolian T-shirt/Dress (knee length)
Fabric: Main fabric: cotton voile from Spotlight. Lining: cotton voile from GJs Discount Fabric
Alterations: Sewn in woven fabric rather than a knit. The body of the dress was lined (see details above). I removed 2″ from the hem for an above the knee hemline
Accessories: Necklaces from Elk & shoes recently purchased online from Yoox.